Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sitemeter goes wacky



Sitemeter went crazy late Friday afternoon, wrecking havoc with tons of web sites. Ed Morrissey explains:
Starting yesterday, Sitemeter has caused thousands of blogs to fail in Internet Explorer 7 for some reason. Both Hot Air and Michelle Malkin sites have been affected. According to Charles Johnson, the problem exists on Sitemeter’s own website. It appears that Sitemeter changed its coding yesterday without warning its users, and without testing it before going live with the changes.
I noticed the problem early in the evening on Friday. I wasn't able to access my own blog, plus, when I went to several other sites I got the same "operation aborted" message. After a couple of hours I was able to access Gateway Pundit, who had posted info on the Sitemeter issue. I followed his recommendation and deleted Sitemeter from my blog, which solved the problem with my blog.

The problem only affects IE7, according to Ed.

I installed Sitemeter in the spring but didn't really use it. I mostly use Statcounter. After this fiasco I won't put Sitemeter back on my blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you wanted to changed your mind, this is a good description (click!) of the reasons and a few proposed fixes. For example, moving the Sitemeter counter to the very bottom of the page will make it work.

TheBronze said...

Kevin, why the Hell are you still using IE?

Anonymous said...

Recommendations on what to use besides IE?