Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sacramento Bee's new makeover comes out gray

The Bee's Extreme Makeover happened today. For weeks The Bee has been announcing the exciting changes - a new font style, opinion pages moved to the front section, more news digests, more photographs and feature stories, more stock listings, color comics, pages an inch narrower. OK, the narrowing the page change was a cost-cutting move, but everything else was supposed to make The Bee more exciting and relevant.

First thing I noticed when I looked the paper this morning? The ink was a weak gray. Not black.

I took some pictures, see if you agree. Here are 3 pictures.

The picture below is the header from yesterday's newspaper (July 28) and the header from today's new-and-improved newspaper (July 29). The header from yesterday's newspaper is the one on top. Does the ink in the top one look darker to you? It does to me.

Below is a side-by-side look of yesterdays pre-makeover Metro section (left) and today's new-and-improved Our Region (right). The ink in yesterday's edition is obviously darker.
Third comparison: yesterday's pre-makeover opinion page is on the left side, and the new-and-improved edition is on the right. The ink on the left seems slightly darker.
So, the ink in my paper today was gray. I don't know if gray ink part of the Extreme Makeover. Maybe by a fluke my paper was part of a bad batch.

Wouldn't be the first time my newspaper had had ink problems.

1 comment:

TheBronze said...

You can polish a turd...