Thursday, September 18, 2008

Morale at the Modesto Bee

From comments:
...seriously, it is bad, real bad, ladies teary eyed, nobody talks much, the most common questions are (not in this order), Did you take the buyout?, I wonder who is next? What do you think will happen with the building? I wonder what happened to so and so? ...For those of us who will be let go Sept 28 the common questions are "How are you doing?" "Do you have anything lined up yet?" "Do you have any plans?" "What is EDD doing, or have you talked to EDD yet?" I am speechless (almost). With so many people being let go, how can security keep tabs on who is still employed and who isn't? You walk in the building, and security just lets you in past the turnstiles, no badge swipe, or ID check...I suggest a metal detector and X-ray machine!
The Modesto Bee will be printed in Sacramento beginning September 29. Look for McClatchy to figure out other ways to consolidate the Sacramento and Modesto and Merced papers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems to me if the place is thinning out it should be easier for the guards to know who is there. Also seems to me if you start checking co-workers with metal detectors it will make for an even more depressing situation. Just let it be and get on with your life...and think before you post stupid comments. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Are you crazy...Why do you think the Modesto Bee needs metal detector or X-ray machines? We don't need security watching every move we make. You are just opening up a can of worms with all your nonsense. Yes moral is low,what do you expect,we are losing our jobs. Keep the faith, I hope that we who are displaced will find employeement soon. God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

The Countdown has begun at the Modesto Bee, 10 print days remain. The ship is sinking and everyone is running towards the lifeboats. There are the few that will get on the lifeboats and save themselves, but there are the ones who will stay with the sinking ship and watch it go down. I feel so sad for the ones who are leaving as well as the ones who are staying. What a very very sad day it will be Sept 28 and Nov 16 when we say goodbye. I enjoyed working with you all at The Modesto Bee I made some great friends. We all can take one thing away from all of this, we made the Modesto Bee what it was years ago the Number 1 paper in McClatchy. What we are going through now we had nothing to do with. Hold your heads up high as we all walk out on Sept 28 and Nov 16 and may god bless you all and your families as you move on to bigger and better things. Take care my friends.

Anonymous said...

think the CA theme song should become: Iron Maiden's Run to the Hills

Anonymous said...

I am part of McClatchy's Miami paper. I sympathize with you guys as well. I am not sure if their is a blog that has to do with The Miami Herald/ El Nuevo Herald but just last Friday a number of employees left from a previous lay-off and this Tuesday they announced more. rumor has it that they might announce more in November. I am not sure how tru this is but it has been so difficult. Both the people leaving and staying are being affected. I prey and hope that everyone will get through this. BTW we do have x-ray machines in which all visitor's must go through and employees at random.

Anonymous said...

...metal detector or X-ray machines...
I was being facetious...sorry you thought I was serious.

/fəˈsiʃəs/ Pronunciation Key - [fuh-see-shuhs]–adjective 1.not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.

Anonymous said...

After re-reading your post I can see where you were trying to be facetious, but it did not come across as such. Thank you so much for adding the definition of "facetious" You are just too clever for the rest of us! In any case I am glad you were not serious.