Monday, September 8, 2008

Readers decide -- the official Gary Pruitt theme song is "It's the end of the world as we know it" by R.E.M.

By a huge margin, McClatchy Watch readers voted "It's the end of the world as we know it" by R.E.M. as the official Gary Pruitt theme song.

Nearly 50 percent of the people who voted chose this song. "I'm a loser" by the Beatles was a distant second place. (Poll results here. Thanks to all readers who nominated songs and who voted.)

Why did this song resonate? I think it's obvious: people feel Gary Pruitt has run the company into the ground, and McClatchy -- as we know it -- may be about to end.

Here are some of the lyrics:

Team by team reporters baffled, trump, tethered crop. Look at that low plane! Fine then. Uh oh, overflow, population, common group, but it'll do. Save yourself, serve yourself. World serves its own needs, listen to your heart bleed. Tell me with the rapture and the reverent in the right - right. You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Enjoy:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I realize voting is over but I have a late entry: Ain't That A Shame - Fats Domino

"Ain't that a shame, you're the one to blame"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OG3uPULQRs

Anonymous said...

I love it......let's do it again. He deserves it and thensend it to him by email.

Anonymous said...

How in the hell was Pruitt able to get financing for the KRI acquisition? I remember the dog and pony show at the Charlotte Observer, then I was outsourced in 6 months! I'll say this that west coast hippie must have been on meth... And I'll never forget he looked like Beavis...

Anonymous said...

I have an entry for the next poll already:

Song entry Dedicated to the ‘Dumper Stockman’ Pruitt-
-------------
“You can't hide your lyin eyes-
And your smile is a thin disguise
I thought by now you'd realize
There ain't no way to hide your lyin' eyes”

-Eagles