Monday, June 1, 2009

2007 flashback: Bee management said carriers deserved respect and appreciation

Last week, Modesto Bee's management gave 30 days notice to up to 300 Bee carriers, terminating their contract at the end of June. No explanation was given to the carriers who had been faithfully delivering the paper.

But just 2 years ago, management was singing the praises of Bee carriers. Here is Judy, writing in 2007:

I have been reminded of just how hard Bee carriers work. Due to our production problems, managers were out delivering papers this morning. I was one of them, and I'm proud to say I delivered a route of 210 papers.

I must have given one or two households a paper they weren't expecting because I ran one paper short at the end. Fortunately, the district manager, Steve, took a paper to that last house.

The customers I met along the way were gracious about our problems. Two dogs weren't. They went after me, and I jumped in the passenger side door to escape them. They went home, fortunately, and I went back to the driver's seat.

The other thing I learned is that it's harder delivering papers on garbage day, when the cans are out in front. I couldn't get close enough to throw the papers onto the driveway or porch. so I had to get in and out of the car, repeatedly. (Admittedly I have weak arms.)

Tomorrow I'll have sore arms... and a better appreciation of the carriers who deliver The Bee on a daily basis.

-- Judy


That was then, this is now.
.
.
.

No comments: