Last week, Herald Executive Editor Anders Gyllenhaal likened what's happening in the newspaper industry to being hit by a hurricane. But he told me he doesn't believe there will be any more job losses at his newspaper.That was then. Fast forward four months. On Thursday McClatchy announced it would cut $100 to $110 million company wide. Miami Herald Publisher David Landsberg sent an email to staff Thursday telling them the Herald would be laying off employees in the coming weeks. (Bob Norman has the email from Lansberg here.)
"I just don't see that happening," said Gyllenhaal, who was a reporter for the newspaper back in its early '80s heyday. "It's been a difficult period, but everybody in the newsroom knows what we need to do. Whether it's a literal hurricane or a figurative one, which is what we're going through in a way, this is a newsroom that is taking it on and handling it."
Here's what an astute commenter said about Gyllenhaal on my blog in November:
He's going to eat that no more layoffs prediction. October ad revenues were truly dismal, continuing the abrupt slide that started in September, and Christmas is looking very, very bad for newspapers. So where is the revenue going to come from to make the payroll. The Miami Herald is in really deep trouble, and looking more like the old Miami News in its dying days.No word from the Anders Gyllenhaal. Photo: Tom Wallace/Star Tribune